• Wonderful to hear that Froggatt Young Singers have been selected to
take part at the prestigious Llangollen International Eisteddfod 2019!
• My pupils Eve , Tara, and Tey all made it through to the Final at the David Clover Festival of Singing. As a trio they won the Paul M Green Trophy, Tara won the Petrie Rose Bowl, Tey won Humorous Song and was additionally awarded the Ronald Batty Salver, and Eve won the Lieder class. Winners and runners up in other classes include those mentioned above, and also Freddie (Y10) and Fran. Very well done to all who took part!
• Huge congratulations to my pupils Eve (Y11) and Marnie (Y6) for their
amazing ABRSM exam results in December 2018. Eve got 140 for her Grade
6 singing, and Marnie got 138 for her Grade 1! Two fantastic and well-deserved
outcomes, and very well done to both girls on this fabulous achievement.
• Huge congratulations to Marnie in Y6 who has just been offered a place in NYC girls choir following her audition in Manchester in November 2018!
• Tara Y12 has been invited to perform The Youth in Mendelssohn’s Elijah with Bakewell Choral Society in November 2018
• Congratulations to Eve in Y11 for making it through to the National Youth Training Choir
• Well done Tey in Y10 for winning the solo performance trophy at Buxton Music Speech and Drama Festival in June 2018
• Congratulations to Froggatt Young Singers for winning the ensemble performance trophy at Buxton MSD Festival in June 2018
• Well done Tara in Y11 for being awarded the highest GCSE performance mark (solo and ensemble) in her year at school
• Congratulations to Bertie in Y8 for achieving an amazing 97 marks for his Grade 5 theory in March 2018
• Well done to to Rose in Y7 for gaining a fab 135 marks for her Grade 3 singing in March 2018
Kate has been teaching singing for over 20 years, since graduating from the RSAMD, and her pupils achieve outstanding exam results and many other successes at local and national level. Most of Kate’s pupils attend local state primary and secondary schools.
Kate currently devotes three days a week to teaching.
The majority of her lessons are for solo singers, mainly young singers preparing for grade exams and GCSE/A level performances, competitive music festivals, and auditions. Her pupils achieve excellent results in their exams and frequently win prizes and trophies at festivals. A number of Kate’s pupils are current or former members of the National Youth Choir of Great Britain, and one of her Year 10 girls recently made it through to the NYC Training Choir.
Kate also very much enjoys working with adult choral singers.
Kate sings in a number of languages and is able to coach pupils in Italian, German, French, Spanish, and Latin pronunciation.
Kate likes to teach her youngest pupils in groups, using a mix of fun vocal exercises, simple songs and rounds, singing games, and basic musicianship work to prepare the ground for developing good pitch and rhythm awareness and basic reading skills.
Pitch awareness is developed using the Kodaly approach, and listening games based on relative sol-fa are a regular part of the work.
Most importantly, these groups are about having fun while singing and making music, something these young children will hopefully go on to enjoy for the rest of their lives!
For those having solo singing lessons, Kate will normally incorporate a few minutes of music theory work and homework at every lesson.
Kate also teaches theory in small groups for those who need or want to progress to Grade 5 more rapidly, and her pupils achieve excellent exam results, with a number of pupils gaining 95 marks or higher in recent exams.
This is an important part of every solo singing lesson and group lesson. Kate uses the Kodaly approach (relative sol-fa) to help train the ear and build sight-singing skills.
• 2018 Classical Voice Training course with Janice Chapman, Andy Follin, Ron Morris, James Platt (7 days)
• 2017 Classical Voice Training course with Janice Chapman, Andy Follin, Ron Morris, James Platt (5 days)
• 2015 AOTOS training day with Janice Chapman: Vocal Development Masterclass for singing teachers
• 2014 British Kodaly Academy Spring Course for Singers and Conductors (4 days)
• 2014 BVA training day: Vibrato!
• 2014 BVA training day: Irritant Issues: Reflux, Allergy and the Voice
• 2013 BVA and ABCD training day: Voice Science for Choirs
• 2013 BVA training day: Lend me your ears. A day to explore hearing and voice.
• 2011 AOTOS training day: Boyzone
• 2011 BVA Fundamentals of the Singing Voice course led by Linda Hutchison, Parts 1 and 2 (15 sessions)
• 2010/11 BVA Accent Method Course with Dinah Harris and Sara Harris (3 days)
• 2009 Colourstings training (5 days) • 2004-2005 Kodaly training with David Vinden (Intermediate) with Distinction.
• Eve, Tara, and Tey at the Final of the David Clover Festival of Singing
Web design by: Moonfleet Design.